When living with an ongoing medical condition such as Diabetes, it is important to access the correct help and support to manage and control symptoms. From making healthy lifestyle choices, to monitoring medication; at Bridgewater Home Care we support our clients in their own homes, enabling them to live well.
What is Diabetes?
Diabetes is a condition that causes a person’s blood sugar levels to become too high. Symptoms often include frequent urination, increased thirst and increased appetite along with tiredness and nausea.
Many people with diabetes are unsure how to care for it and monitor it effectively. Good care and management is an essential part of keeping healthy for people with diabetes, as well as adopting healthy lifestyles choices and good nutrition and hydration.
At Bridgewater Home Care we understand the challenges one can face when living with diabetes. It can be confusing knowing what the right lifestyle choices are, and how to monitor symptoms of the condition.
Our Care Specialists can provide a range of support that is aimed at helping those with diabetes to live better, including:
• Advice and encouragement with healthy diet and hydration to balance blood glucose levels
• Meal planning, shopping and preparation – help making healthy food choices based on individual’s tastes and preferences
• Helping to identify symptoms – including confusion, changes to personality, difficulties with speech or poor appetite
• Keeping and tracking readings and helping to check blood glucose levels
• General healthy lifestyle guidance including light exercises, nutrition, and wellbeing
• Monitoring and administering medication or insulin – helping to incorporate a schedule within the daily routine
• Encouragement to enjoy an active lifestyle
• Support with getting out and about in the local community – assisting on trips or outings locally
• Help with technology and communication – including liaising with local healthcare professionals and help keeping in touch with the wider support network
If not managed effectively, diabetes can lead to further health complications such as heart disease, stroke, nerve damage and blindness. At Bridgewater Home Care our Care Specialists are expertly trained to help individuals living with the condition to recognise symptoms and deal with the effects on the body. It is important that signs are recognised in the early stages to help prevent complications in the long run. At Bridgewater Home Care we place huge importance on communication between us and both the client and their family members, so that everyone is kept up to date with a loved one’s health and wellbeing.
Our Care Specialists undergo both initial and ongoing training and development during their careers at Bridgewater Home Care. We keep on top of recent medical developments to make sure we are providing the most effective care solutions to clients. We are extremely proud of our training programmes, working closely with external health care professionals for added guidance, so you can rest assured that your loved one is in excellent hands.